|

| |
June 4
This morning at 7am we tied a local longboat with a 30hp motor alongside
and with him pushing motored away from Yanutha and out of the Mbengga
Lagoon. Once we cleared the reef we piled on all our sail (main, mizzen
and genoa) and the wind is cooperating nicely giving us a pleasant
downwind ride. Right now the wind is varying between 15-25k True and our
speed varies with it between 5.5 and 7k. It is only 8:20am and I am
expecting the wind to steady up and perhaps freshen. The forecast called
for 15-25k from the SE so I am optimistic we will make it to our
destination.
Our goal is to get as close to Lautoka as possible today. Our friend,
Cerilly, is following in his longboat to help us enter the bay once we
arrive. Possible destinations include Thuvu, Natadola and Momi in that
order. Depending on our speed we will try for Momi, the furthest and
therefore closest to Lautoka. Momi Bay, however, is 61 miles and I doubt
we can average 6k. Natadola is our most likely destination at 47nm.
The wind was brisk all day in the 15-25k range. We arrived at Natadola at
about 3pm and settled in for the evening. Our "escort" Cerilley
is staying the night aboard as it is too late to begin the return trip to
Yanutha. The anchorage here is somewhat exposed and a nice swell comes in
the bay giving the boat a nice gentle rolling motion which we could really
do without. The holding is good though - 25ft in sand and we have over
150ft of chain out. It is windy still with a steady 15k gusting to 20+.
In the morning we will sail on to Vunda Pt. Marina in Lautoka where we
will be hauled out for repairs. The distance to Vunda Pt. is app. 35 miles
and I am sure we can make it before 3 or 4pm.
|